Terms and Conditions
Published on the 17th November 2022
These Terms and Conditions apply to all pages found at https://codeacademyug.org and all Programs operated by Code Academy Uganda (referred to as “The Academy”) including but not limited to The Academy In-Person programs and The Academy Online Programs. These terms apply to all lessons, classes, courses, and options offered by The Academy (hereinafter referred to individually as “Program” or collectively “Programs”).
I. Code of Conduct
To promote the best learning environment possible, all students and parents will be held to this Code of Conduct. Failure to comply with this Code of Conduct or engaging in actions or attitudes that seem to be harmful to the atmosphere, other participants, or staff, in the opinion of The Academy can lead to removal from a Program or Program(s). The Academy reserves the right to dismiss students from a Program and prevent a student from attending additional Programs without any prior warning for (1) violating any of the terms of this code of conduct, or (2) if The Academy determines that a Program is not a suitable and/or productive environment for a student (this includes incidents in which a student does not have sufficient English language skills to participate in the Program; participation in courses requires a high level of English understanding). Refunds will not be given for students dismissed for failure of the student or the parent to abide by the Code of Conduct, or if it is determined that a Program is not suitable for a student. While The Academy strives to maintain excellent relationships with students, in some rare cases, we may determine that The Academy is not a compatible environment for every student.
Students and parents/guardians may NEVER:
- Disrupt, bully, intimidate, or harass others;
- Use inappropriate language (for example, students cannot use of swear or curse words, racial, gendered, homophobic/transphobic, stereotypical, or culturally insensitive words, even if done in a joking manner);
- View, display or post any inappropriate material (including sexual content, material depicting inappropriate violence, racism, bullying, etc.) during a Program;
- Share Program information (including lesson plans, etc.) with third-parties, without permission from The Academy;
- Impersonate another person; or
- Contact instructors outside of the Program.
Students also may NEVER:
- Engage in Internet hacking;
- Create an account on or log into third-party websites without the permission of their instructor;
- Use false information to create an account on or log into third-party websites;
- Share personal information with staff members or ask staff members for their personal information;
- Share or create video or audio recordings of The Academy staff or another student without the permission of The Academy.
Students and parents/guardians MUST:
- Follow directions/instructions of The Academy personnel;
- If online, ensure the student attends the Program in an appropriate, private setting;
- Dress appropriately during the Program;
- Only share material that is related to lessons and appropriate.
- Age Policy
The Academy offers Programs for students ages 7-19. Therefore, students may interact and/or room with a student that is within this age range including 18 or 19 years old. Please note the age range of the Program being registered for.
Occasionally, the Academy will offer programs for students above 19 years as it deems it fit.
III. Special Arrangements
If a student requires an aide to participate in an The Academy Program, the aide must be age 18 or older, may not be a family member, and if it is an In-Person Program, the aide must be a professional in handling the participant.
- Payment Policy
- Unless otherwise noted, all financial transactions are made and quoted in either U.S. Dollars or Ugandan shillings.
- All Payment Plan Fees, fees paid for Online Programs, and In- person programs are non-refundable and non-transferrable.
- Other than if the client needs to cancel a class, there are no refunds, credits or replacement days for classes missed. If The Academy needs to cancel a class, The Academy will either provide you a pro rata credit or reschedule the cancelled class(es).
- If The Academy cancels an entire Program for any reason, the fees paid for the Program will be refunded, less the non-refundable fees, as set out above. Non-refundable fees (other than the Payment Plan Fee, if any) will remain in your account as a fully transferable credit that does not expire.
- The Academy has the right to charge a $15 late fee on any payments not paid by the due date. For balances that are over 30 (thirty) days past due, The Academy has the right to charge a 5% monthly finance charge and send the balance to a collection agency for collection (collection agency and legal fees may apply).
- All fees (registration, administrative, late, etc.) must be paid prior to the start of a Program, unless a payment plan has been agreed to. Students will be withdrawn from a Program if the Program has not been paid in full prior to the start of the Program, or if at any time a payment is not paid by the due date. No refunds, credits, or make-up classes will be provided if a session is missed due to a delinquent payment.
- By agreeing to a subscription or payment plan, you are authorizing The Academy to auto charge the credit card on file as agreed at the time of purchase and as set out in My Account.
- A $10 returned check fee will be assessed for any checks returned or card transactions that are not honoured.
- Reservation Changes
To provide outstanding Programs, we may have to limit your ability to make changes (such as registering for a different course or changing attendance dates) and/or cancel a Program. Please reference the Terms and Conditions for specific Programs (linked above) for the rules and restrictions for changes and cancellations for that Program.
- Promotions and Discounts
Promotional discounts are limited to one discount per student. There may be other limitations as to how they apply, and codes must be submitted at the time of registration. The Academy will not honour retroactive adjustments, and the total discounts received cannot exceed the total cost of the products purchased.
The Refer-a-Friend Program is a voluntary Program that applies to Small Group Classes and In-Person Programs.
- Each Referral Code can be used a maximum of 10 times. The code can only be used by students attending The Academy for the first time (may be limited to certain Programs) and must be applied at the time of registration.
- A tuition credit will be given for each new student that registers for an In-Person Program or Small Group Class using a referral code and attends the course for which they registered.
- The Refer-a-Friend Program does not apply to siblings.
- Students may not refer each other to both qualify for the Refer-a-Friend Discount.
- Tuition credit will be applied after the referred client registers, pays in full and attends the Program. If the referred friend cancels his/her Program, the credit will be removed, and you will be responsible for any account balance that is created as a result of the lost credit.
- All tuition credits must be used in the Program term in which they are earned, can be used to offset Program tuition and other fees incurred, but do not entitle you to any form of payment.
- Tuition credits have no cash value.
VII. General Releases
- Media Release: As a condition of participation, you authorize The Academy and its partners to take photos, videos, images, audio, and testimonials of you and your student and agree that said content may be used by The Academy in promotional materials, marketing collateral, and online media. These images, testimonials, photos, videos, and audio may be shared and used by corporate partners, the media, or other organizations that work with The Academy. You also agree that all projects and work created by your student during The Academy Program may be used by The Academy in promotional materials, online, and other print media, and may be shared and used by corporate partners, the media, or other organizations that work with The Academy. You understand that The Academy, its owners, agents, partners, facility providers, and employees will not be held liable for damages and injuries associated with use of any content released herein, including any and all claims based on negligence. You agree that all images, testimonials, photos, video, and audio taken at or in connection with The Academy Program are the sole and exclusive property of The Academy, and that The Academy has a royalty-free, perpetual license to use copies of all student work and projects created at The Academy Program.
- Name and Likeness Release: As a condition of participation, you authorize The Academy and the press to use your student’s full name and likeness in print, radio, TV, and other mediums.
- Project/Hardware Release: Some The Academy Programs are project-based. In such instances, The Academy will attempt to provide your student with the knowledge to produce a working project. Some of The Academy Programs include take home hardware. In those instances, The Academy will send home a product or voucher for a product. However, there will be instances when a project or product or product voucher cannot be sent home, posted, or delivered, and you agree that The Academy is not responsible if the game, project, product or voucher does not work properly and/or is not compatible with outside systems. You release The Academy from any responsibility for failure to provide a copy of the project or product voucher, or a non-functioning/non-compatible/non-complete game, project, product voucher or product. Refunds will not be issued for not receiving products, product vouchers, or being provided a copy of the project, and/or non-functioning/non-compatible/non-complete projects, product vouchers or products. If you have issues with a product voucher or product, you must contact the manufacturer directly. Product vouchers only cover shipping within the continental U.S. Therefore, if you require the product to be shipped outside the continental US, you are responsible for all shipping and handling costs.
- Software Accounts: Some of The Academy Program activities require creation and/or use of an online account or require an online account to be created for your student. You consent to create or have The Academy to create account(s) as needed for your student to participate in Program activities. During non-instructional time, students may have access to websites that require accounts to be set up. While it is against The Academy rules for students to set up accounts without their instructor’s permission, there may be instances where a student may create an account without the knowledge of The Academy or its employees. In such instances, you release The Academy and its employees from any and all responsibility and liability for accounts created by your student without The Academy’s knowledge.
- Game Ratings: The Academy takes its corporate responsibility and The Academy family values very seriously. However, we cannot guarantee that younger students at The Academy will avoid all contact with or mention of games rated “T” for Teen, or “M” for Mature. The Academy will make a concerted effort to minimize both direct and indirect exposure to any games not rated for a student’s age group. Students attending courses designed for older ages have a greater chance of being exposed to materials rated for that older age group. If a student is attending a course for ages 13+, they may be exposed to games rated “M” for Mature by the ESRB (Entertainment Software Rating Board). You voluntarily assume any and all risks, known or unknown, associated with your student’s exposure to game content at The Academy Program.
You agree to defend, indemnify, and hold The Academy, its officers, directors, employees, and agents, harmless from and against any claims, liabilities, damages, losses, and expenses, including, without limitation, reasonable attorneys’ fees and costs, arising out of or in any way connected with your student’s participation in an The Academy Program.
X. Arbitration Agreement
You agree that any dispute other than collection matters, arising out of or relating to this Agreement, you or your student’s participation in a Program with The Academy, or otherwise arising between the parties, including, without limitation, any statutorily created or protected rights, as permitted by applicable state/provincial or federal laws, shall be settled by arbitration to be held in Kampala, in accordance with the laws of the Republic of Uganda, and judgment upon the award rendered by the arbitrator(s) may be entered in any court of competent jurisdiction. The prevailing party in the arbitration shall be entitled to recover expenses including costs and reasonable attorneys’ fees associated therewith. Should any part of this contract be found invalid or not enforceable by a court of law, then the remaining portion shall continue to be valid and in force. You hereby acknowledge that you understand the terms of this ARBITRATION AGREEMENT, and you agree to comply with all of its terms and provisions.
XI. Rights Reserved
The Academy reserves the right to update or modify these Terms and Conditions at any time. The Academy reserves the right to cancel or modify any and all classes, lessons, Programs or courses for any reason.
XII. Release of Liability
ON BEHALF OF MY SON/DAUGHTER/WARD, I, THE PARENT/GUARDIAN, IN EXCHANGE FOR THE RIGHT OF MY SON/DAUGHTER/WARD TO PARTICIPATE IN THE ACADEMY PROGRAM(S), HEREBY RELEASE CODE ACADEMY UGANDA., ITS OWNERS, AGENTS, PARTNERS, FACILITY PROVIDERS, AND EMPLOYEES FROM LIABILITY (INCLUDING CLAIMS BASED UPON NEGLIGENCE) FOR ANY AND ALL DAMAGES OR INJURIES TO MY SON/DAUGHTER/WARD OR DAMAGE OF ANY PERSONAL PROPERTY. I AGREE TO BE FULLY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY AND ALL SUCH DAMAGES OR INJURIES WHICH MAY RESULT DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY FROM ANY NEGLIGENT ACTS OR ACTIVITIES ASSOCIATED CODE ACADEMY UGANDA. HOWEVER, I UNDERSTAND THAT I AM NOT RELEASING CODE ACADEMY UGANDA, ITS OWNERS, AGENTS, PARTNERS, FACILITY PROVIDERS, AND EMPLOYEES FROM GROSS NEGLIGENCE, RECKLESS CONDUCT OR INTENTIONALLY TORTIOUS CONDUCT. TO THE EXTENT THIS RELEASE CONFLICTS WITH LAWS OF THE REPUBLIC OF UGANDA GOVERNING RELEASES, THIS RELEASE IS TO BE GIVEN THE FULLEST FORCE AND EFFECT PERMITTED UNDER LAWS OF THE REPUBLIC OF UGANDA. SHOULD ANY PART OF THIS CONTRACT BE FOUND INVALID OR NOT ENFORCEABLE BY A COURT OF LAW, THEN THE REMAINING PORTION SHALL CONTINUE TO BE VALID AND IN FORCE.
The Academy partners with and uses the intellectual property of some amazing companies. You and your student agree to uphold the copyright and trademark rights of The Academy, their partners, and any company whose products are used at The Academy Program.